Groups of hosting services
A hosting service refers to stockpiling and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server handled by a hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's take a peek at these. Thus, you can decide what you want, depending on whether you'd like to run a site, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a service offered by some file storage providers, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage services are often supported by exhibiting adverts by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a specific amount of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely amiss interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the load between separate stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous web hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a brand of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given suppliers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share an immense quantity of pictures with comrades or partners since the solution is generally free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to tackling your mail addresses. Some providers provide web site hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you desire to create a mail address with your domain name but do not want to own a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can open email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your site hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to administer as many video files as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to possess a web site. To a certain extent, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting kinds since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Miami Hosting, for instance, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting solutions that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limitations based on the sort of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the normal email/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for specific content exclusively.